10 May, 2005
I really love the internet...
That sounds like the words of a person who's new to the internet but I've been working with it for the past six years and every now and then I find stuff that makes me say 'I really love the internet' and I can't help myself.
Yesterday I was looking for books on Numerical Programming. I found some stuff on Amazon (as you do) and thought I'd do a Google search to find a publisher's website. However, what I found was the publisher had granted rights for the book I was interested in (Numerical Recipes in C) to be published freely on the internet (PDF) and I can now access a 1000+ page book on Numerical Programming for free ('to make one paper copy of these Acrobat files for their own personal use' that is).
You you can't tell me that the internet is not responsible for that. I mean, how many publishers would print a limitless number of copies of a book and then wonder around the streets giving it out to people?
A rarity at the best of times,
but one on Numerical Programming...
even rarer!
All credit goes to Cambridge University Press and the Cornell University Library
Yesterday I was looking for books on Numerical Programming. I found some stuff on Amazon (as you do) and thought I'd do a Google search to find a publisher's website. However, what I found was the publisher had granted rights for the book I was interested in (Numerical Recipes in C) to be published freely on the internet (PDF) and I can now access a 1000+ page book on Numerical Programming for free ('to make one paper copy of these Acrobat files for their own personal use' that is).
You you can't tell me that the internet is not responsible for that. I mean, how many publishers would print a limitless number of copies of a book and then wonder around the streets giving it out to people?
A rarity at the best of times,
but one on Numerical Programming...
even rarer!
All credit goes to Cambridge University Press and the Cornell University Library
