13 May, 2005

 

The further I travel the more at home I feel!

It's strange but as my work has taken me further and further from my home town (Watford) the more people I meet who have some link, however tenuous, with that town or the surrounding area.

Now, this could be an illusion caused by the passage of time. But the rate of meeting these people is increasing. My career hops from Watford to Hemel Hempstead to Swindon and now Bristol have all resulted in a broadening of the network.

It's not quite 'the six degrees of separation' but something more subtle. May be this lends some credence to the theory that if you travel far enough you will end up meeting yourself.

Comments:
I have the same phenomenon with my home town in my own little corner of the world, Philip. Strange; it's a small, unexceptional town, but most folks I meet have some connection with it -- their grandmother lives there, they took holidays there as a kid, and so on.

I'm not sure if that is connected to the "meeting yourself" idea. On recent international travels I certainly did meet myself, though. Jolly nice to get acquainted it was, too.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?